Ok, you know that Song by the Beach Boys that goes, “You gotta be true to your school”? Well I live in Ohio and I did go to Ohio State University (GO BUCKEYES!). Also the best flavor combination EVER is chocolate and peanut butter (am I right??) 🙂 You don’t have to live in Ohio to love these buckeyes though 🙂
DAY 20: BUCKEYES
- 6 oz (12 tbsp) butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz chocolate candy coating
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt.
2. Mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, until very smooth and well combined. Taste, and adjust the sugar and salt to taste.
3. Roll the candy into small balls about 1-inch in diameter, and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Chill for at least 30 minutes, until firm.
4. Once firm, melt the chocolate candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating.
5. Stick a toothpick firmly into a peanut butter ball, and dip it partially in the chocolate, making sure to leave a circle on top of the candy undipped. If the toothpick doesn’t seem to hold the candy well, use a fork underneath the ball to add stability while you’re dipping it.
6. Place the dipped candy back on the baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining balls until they’re all dipped in chocolate. If they get too soft to dip with a toothpick, refrigerate the tray briefly to firm them up again.
7. Once all of the Buckeyes are dipped, refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate. Use your finger to gently smooth over the holes in the tops of the candies, if desired. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. For best taste and texture, let them sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
(Recipe Credit: About.com, Photo Credit: Very Best Baking)
COUPONS FOR INGREDIENTS:
Butter: $1/1 Challenge Butter Product printable, $0.50/1 Kalona Super Natural Organic Milk, Buttermilk, Whipping Cream, Half & Half, Butter, Cottage Cheese or Sour Cream printable , $1/1 SunButter Product printable
Powdered sugar: $0.75/1 Dixie Crystals Product printable, $0.75/1 Imperial Sugar Product printable, $0.75/1 Dixie Granulated, Poly Light Brown, Dark Brown, Powdered, Redi-Measure Light Brown printable, $0.50/1 Imperial Poly Light Brown, Dark Brown, or Powdered Sugar printable
Vanilla: $0.55/1 Spice Islands Vanilla Extract (Publix Winter Family Savings Printable), $1/1 McCormick Spice, Herb, or Extract (Publix All the Trimmings printable), $1.75/2 McCormick Extract, exp. 12/31/13 (RP 11/17/13)
Peanut Butter: $1/1 Smucker’s Peanut Butter printable, $1/1 Peanut Butter & Co. Peanut Butter printable, $1/1 Nash Brothers Trading Company Organic Creamy Peanut Butter printable
Salt: $0.40/1 Diamond Crystal Salt (SavingStar Deposit), $0.40/1 Diamond Crystal Salt via Upromise Deposit
Chocolate Candy Coating: (let me know if you know of a coupon for this!)
(You can make this with chocolate chips with a little shortening melted in when you melt them, but true candy coating is so much better…it doesn’t melt when you pull it out of the fridge)