Day 13: Caramel Pecan Logs
Yield: 6 Logs
- 1/4 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1/8 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 Large Egg White
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Pkg 14 oz. Caramels
- 2 1/2 Tbls Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Pecans, Coarsely Chopped
- Line a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with waxed paper.
- Combine corn syrup, water and sugar in heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly while sugar dissolves and mixtures begins to boil.
- Attach candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Continue to boil over medium heat until thermometer reaches 248°.
- Once your mixture reaches 232° – beat egg white with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Once the mixture reaches 248° slowly pour hot syrup over the egg white – beating constantly with a good mixer.
- Add vanilla, beat until soft peaks form and candy starts to lose its gloss -approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Spoon divinity into prepared pan.
- Cut into 3 strips lengthwise, then once crosswise in center. Freeze until firm.
- Line a sheet pan with wax paper and put chopped pecans onto pan.
- Get another sheet pan ready with 6 sheets of wax paper.
- Melt caramels with heavy cream in microwave – set timer for 30 second intervals stirring after each interval. Continue intervals until caramel is silky smooth but not too runny. If mixture is too runny let it sit for a few minutes to thicken back up.
- This next step has to be done quickly.
- Take one piece of the divinity and shape into a roll and cover with caramel. Spread caramel on with a knife until divinity is completely covered then immediately roll in pecans – then place onto a piece of wax paper and immediately roll up to seal in the ends.
- Repeat above step until all 6 rolls are done.
- Put into refrigerator to setup – at least 4 hours.
- Cut logs into 1/2 inch slices. You can store in refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
These Pecan Logs are so nummy! They have rich sweet divinity with ooey gooey caramel then rolled in pecans. Nothing could be better. Enjoy!!
(Recipe credit: Laurs Sweet Tooth)
COUPONS FOR INGREDIENTS:
Corn Syrup: $0.40/1 Karo Syrup, exp. 2/14/14 (RP 12/08/13)
Sugar: $0.75/2 C&H Sugar Product printable, $0.50/1 Imperial Granulated Sugar printable
Cream of Tartar: $0.50/2 McCormick Spices, Herbs, Extracts, or Food Colors printable, $0.50/1 Simply Organic Mini Spice printable
Eggs: 0.35/1 Eggland’s Best Eggs (Giant Eagle), $0.50/1 Simply Balanced Eggs Target printable
Vanilla: $1/1 Simply Organic Vanilla printable, $0.55/1 Spice Islands Vanilla Extract (Publix Winter Family Savings Printable)
Caramels: $0.75/1 Werther’s Original Baking Caramels printable, 0.50/1 Werther’s Original Caramels printable
Heavy Whipping Cream: $0.50/1 Kalona Super Natural Organic Milk, Buttermilk, Whipping Cream, Half & Half, Butter, Cottage Cheese or Sour Cream printable,
Pecans: $1/2 Fisher Recipe Nut Items, exp. 2/2/14 (SS 12/08/13 #2), $1/1 Diamond Baking Nuts (Publix All the Trimmings printable), $1/1 Fisher Recipe Nut Item Of Any Variety printable
(For other coupons check out our coupon database here)